Sunday, August 9, 2009

MIK


Here's my friends' guitar, which they bought at a local stoop sale (the city equivalent of a garage sale, in case the term sounds odd). It came with a chipboard case missing one latch, but good enough to sit around and keep the cats off. And, um, that's half my foot and my knee. What happened to the tan I got kayaking?

I don't know how old it is, but it's a Hondo, made in Korea, so probably not more than a dozen or twenty years old. Still has a tiny sticker with an inspection number. This was pre-stringing, so you don't get to see my novel ball-end-through-the-tuners look.

It plays fairly well, but those nylon strings are still stretching. I was trying to play "Scarborough Fair" for my mother, and realized that it was about a full step out of tune. I said to her, "I bet you thought it was my playing and didn't want to say anything." The look on her face answered that question. I'm also having a bit of trouble with the wider, thicker neck and longer fret spacing.

Oh, and since it's a Hondo, I've named it John Wayne. You can probably figure out why... but does anyone else remember when that movie was on TV in, say, the late eighties, and it was a big deal because they had 3-Dized it and you could go to 7-11 to get free 3D glasses?

No comments:

Post a Comment