Monday, December 7, 2009

A crimp in things

Literally. Namely, that while the circuit-building aspects of pedal making do not daunt me at all, there are two aspects that do. 1) hooking it up to something, and 2) doing all the crap that makes it hook up to something. By the time I got done reading Circuit Building for Dummies' section on how to crimp a cable connection onto the amplifier I would hypothetically build -- which by the way, is housed in a box I've presumably built or bought as well -- with a crimping tool I don't own and have never used, and incidentally I barely even know what kinds of connections and power supplies I'd need, well, I closed the book and pondered deeply while continuing to cycle. (At the gym.)

I don't actually think I'd kill myself or anyone else. I'd probably blow a few fuses (also something I've never had to wire into a circuit, never having used a power supply that could kill something bigger than a spider), but it doesn't look terribly difficult. On the other hand, there's clearly a lot to learn about the outer parts as well as the innards, and many tools to buy. I'm not sure which is a bigger problem at the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment