Saturday, July 4, 2009

Bad house guest

Snuck in a quick practice on my friend's tele this morning while he and his wife were still asleep. What's more Fourth of July than a red Fender Telecaster? Obviously, I didn't plug it in. Baby steps. I was also just playing chords along with nothing at all. "Scarborough Fair" and so forth.

Lots of fun, though I see that I'm going to have to work on my stretches. A 3/4 size guitar is nice for the learning curve, but then there's one later if you keep going. The tele action certainly is easy, though. On my Yamaha (it has no name, unlike the mandolin; it's just referred to in a deprecating tone as "the Yamaha" or "the low-end travel guitar" or "I'm learning on it"), the action's pretty easy at the top and gets ridiculously higher as you go down. I mean, it feels like going from typing on a modern laptop to an old typewriter, if you know what I mean; that real airy push-push-push kind of feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment