Thursday, June 11, 2009

The nervous parent

I wish to god I'd seen Brent's comment below offering help before I tried to restring tonight. I am limp with exhaustion. All strings more or less successfully restrung with the help of this video:



My major fault: not leaving enough slack for a decent amount of winds. And I tried to fix this as I went on, but no matter how much slack I left, there was never enough. Next time I'll probably go to extremes. I hope this won't hurt too much, other than needing to retune every ten minutes.

Also: going on the wish list is a string winder with a pin puller and wire cutter. I don't mind the string winding, but using pliers and cloth to get the pins out is not fun and scrapes up the pins. And without a wire cutter, I currently have huge curlicues of wire at the head, done with a penny and cloth.

OK. Now for a few exhausted chords. Tomorrow is another day. Took a pic. Will try to post.

eta: The new strings are D'Addario (someone tell me why people pronounce it Di-Addaro) Phosphor Bronze, light gauge. They do sound lovely compared to the factory strings, as crappily as I strung them. I also got a backup set of Martins. I'm not dumb. I knew I would screw it up. I just didn't know if it would be crucially. Paid retail, though. Next time, the internet.

2 comments:

  1. you do not need pliers to remove the pins. all you do is unwind the string, and then push it in further under the pin, that should loosen the pin and allow you to pull it out by hand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Huh. I'll have to try that next time.

    ReplyDelete