Monday, June 22, 2009

Precision and power

The good news is that my open chords are getting wildly better. I realized that I forgot to learn D minor, but that was quickly fixed and led to a highly satisfying rendition of Aerosmith's "Crazy." I also was delighted this weekend when playing my friend's full-size Takamine and realizing that my skills were improving. As a matter of fact, I managed to switch chords without looking at my fretting hand, a pinnacle of success I had not dared to dream of so soon. We will pass over the fact that his dog went and hid in the other room while I was playing, after enduring it the first time.

Tonight, I decided to build on this success by learning the power chords. I have entered a whole new world of pain. First of all, if there is a theoretical equivalent to power chords in classical piano, I most certainly never learned its name. This is a minor blip. Secondly, the stretch required between the index and middle finger is beyond awkward. I'm back to thanking god that I bought a 3/4 size guitar; also going to have to do regular stretches.

No comments:

Post a Comment