Tuesday, June 23, 2009

The twisted claw

I think that's the title of a Hardy Boys book, but it also somewhat describes my left hand. I kind of figured out the power chord stretch, so today I decided to put it into use, finding that having the f# power chord gave me a yet more satisfying rendition of "Crazy." And that, ladies and gentlemen, finally made my hand cramp. I had been happily surprised that nothing but my fingertips was in pain, but I have entered a new phase.

I ended a long practice session -- fingertips hardening a bit -- by going back to "I'm in Love with My Car," which is my comfort song now, but making myself use all G power chords. Ow. I'm typing this to loosen the kinks.

Incidentally, the warm weather seems to be playing havoc with my tuning. I had to stop and retune twice. Most unusual. That's what happens when your apartment is not really climate controlled. Wait till I start turning the window unit on and off... it's a good thing I bought a cheap guitar. I'd better pick up a hardshell case tomorrow; that might help soften the temperature blows.

No comments:

Post a Comment